Thursday, July 30, 2009

Treasures Found


I've truly enjoyed my latest avocation as treasure hunter, hunting for precious collectibles for our antique booth.

Especially for those getting up in years, a trip to an antique store can be a trip down memory lane. Familiar items discovered among the shelves of curios can trigger childhood memories and fond recollections.

Some of the items I purchase for our booth have been specifically chosen because they bring back pleasant associations with times gone by. My father was a frequent traveler to Japan during a period of his career. He brought back exciting tales from his travels, and, for my sister and me, he brought home beautiful, exotic dolls. My own dolls have long ago been passed on, but when I came across the gorgeous, silk clad Japanese dolls pictured above, they were a must have for the booth! I savoured their rich garments and lovely faces prior to tagging them for resale and displaying them, with the hope that they might also delight someone else.

Another favorite collectible for me because of past association is Wedgwood, a fine porcelain produced in England. My mother had a small collection of the more typical, periwinkle blue Wedgwood vases decorated with fine white relief carvings usually of Grecian or mythical scenes. It's been fun to discover the wide variety of Wedgwood pieces available in all the various colors and patterns. It can be found in blue, green, pink, lavender, black, or white and comes etched, painted, or with transfers in an endless array of form and pattern. Vases, plates, cups and saucers, trinket trays and boxes...such variety!



I'm especially fond of this Wedgwood beauty, a small pitcher picturing a hunt scene. Notice the fox hound handle! This piece is actually the second one of these I've come across and purchased for our booth. The first was of the same hunt design pattern, but was a larger pitcher in a solid kelly green color. I hadn't had it displayed on our shelf for more than a couple minutes before another antique dealer came by and just had to have it.

Some of my finds are hard to part with, but it gives me immense pleasure to offer things that recall good memories for my customers and bring out the smiles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment