Friday, July 24, 2009

On the Horizon


It still feels a bit surreal, but I'm formally started on the process to getting a transplant. An intake coordinator from Johns Hopkins Hospital called this week and now I have an appointment scheduled with the transplant evaluation team in October. At that time, I will meet with the transplant surgeon, nephrologist, social worker, dietitian, and nurse coordinator in sessions to last from 4 to 5 hours for this evaluation. Kevin will be there with me to learn as much about the process as I will.

The number of medical tests and procedures required prior to this appointment is quite staggering. Even if I was feeling my best, it would feel a bit burdensome to make all the necessary appointments and go for all these tests...feeling at my worst with no energy to spare, doesn't help. Ordinarily, I am pretty sharp and organized in my day to day life, but I find even the most mundane chores are harder to accomplish now...so this will be a challenging time.

Kevin continues to be very kind and patient. I know it isn't easy to live day in and day out with someone who is going through this ordeal, yet he faces each day with me with a smile and offers me words of encouragement. I can only promise him I will do the best I can do.

The coming appointment looms like hope on the horizon...like the dawn of the beginning of a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment