Monday, July 20, 2009

From Where I Sit ...


This weekend was a rough one health-wise. On Saturday night, after a couple hours of stomach and back pains accompanied by increasingly intense nausea, I spent about half an hour in the bathroom, the contents of my stomach just not wanting to stay put. I was sicker than a dog! After that, I crawled into bed quite early, depleted of energy to do anything else. Fortunately, a good night's sleep followed. I remained pretty exhausted throughout Sunday, but it was a restful day at home in the company of my very supportive partner.
As the disease progresses and my kidney function decreases, I am bound to experience more of these kinds of symptoms. Such is life at this stage of the disease. Though still scary to think about, a transplant is becoming more and more inviting as an end point to feeling so sick and tired and a the beginning to days of better health with renewed energy to do all the things I love to do again.
To change the subject (a useful tactic to feeling better!), years back my Mom gave me a copy of a magazine called "Civilization." It included an article entitled, "The Literary Life," with photographs of the desks and workspaces of various notable authors. "Seeing writers in their workplaces, we come to appreciate the creative act, the lonely process of making literature," was how the article began. I was captivated by the images and primarily by how stark most of the rooms were...almost empty rooms devoid of personal objects, but spaces where colorful, lively, suspenseful words were woven together and books crafted that tantalize our emotions and inspire us to think more deeply. The photographs of these spaces left one with the impression that there were to be no distractions...simply a means to facilitate an inner vision to make its way out on to paper.
I scanned my room and my desk space and was struck by how much stuff I have crammed in here and all around me. I hope anyone who may come across my blog enjoys reading it, but, as far as literary greatness goes, I think my room with all its colorful contents and its many, beloved distractions will be a limit setter to the coming creation of any masterpieces :)
I've never found writing to be a lonely pursuit either. For me, it's simply a means to connect to my own thoughts and feelings and communicate them with others. From where I sit, I write ... and it's a joy to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment