Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First Post...and Why I Chose to Blog

Welcome to my first post! My blog site was born out of a desire to share my thoughts and feelings about life, especially at a time that is full of challenge. Two months ago, I learned that I need to undergo a kidney transplant. I've known for many years that my kidney function was dwindling, but my basic health has been good, so it was a little alarming to find that I didn't have any more time to contemplate my options. I'll write much more in coming blogs about my medical condition, and the physical and emotional aspects concerning getting a transplant, as I think it would be helpful information to others facing the same daunting procedure.

For now, a little more about me in introduction. I'm one of those super fortunate people who have found their true soul mate. It didn't happen right away, but after years of unsuccessful attempts at love and ill-fated partnerships, Kevin and I found each other in 2005 and we've been inseparable since. Kevin is my heart and my soul. We married earlier this month in a lovely outdoor ceremony with our family and close friends in attendance.

I've also been blessed with the most beautiful daughter a mother could ever dream of, admittedly, I'm biased...but it's true :) Desirae's already flown the nest and is living on her own, but remains close in all ways. I was a single parent for much of her life. Our bond has always been a strong one. One of my biggest joys in life was watching Desirae's life unfold and being their to guide her and help her grow. One of my biggest joys in life continues to be the pride I feel in how she manages her own life now. My life has also been and continues to be brightened by true friendships and a large extended family.

Although I feel my most valuable education stems from life's lessons in and of themselves, I've accumulated three college degrees over the years - in Geography, Park Management, and Environmental Science and Policy. My degrees are a pretty good representation of my main interests and passions in life - people, travel, nature and conservation. I see life as a journey...and the people we meet and the places we go, all shape who we are as individuals.

I've always loved to express myself through writing and drawing. I've dabbled in poetry and I enjoy botanical and wildlife illustration. I love watercolor painting, too! I've also been a letter writer all my life...making and maintaining friendships through correspondence. Only recently have I succumbed to e-mailing for its expediency and convenience. However, I still like to put pen to paper and write a good old fashioned letter. A handwritten letter is the most personal means of expression next to being there...a little piece of you there on paper for your receiver to hold near and dear.

In my fifty-one years on our planet, I've accumulated a lot of experiences and met so many interesting people with fascinating stories of their own. From our log cabin home in the mountains, I'll share with you, my readers, my own personal odyssey...the ups and downs, joys and tribulations of life past, present, and future. Thank you for joining me here!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very nice first blog post Susan! Keep up the good work!

    Your True Soulmate, Kevin

    ReplyDelete