Friday, June 26, 2009

Evening Surprise

Just about every night after dinner, Kevin and I head outdoors for a short stroll around the cabin. Tonight, the air was full with the song of the wood thrush...so lyrical and distinctive with it's trill...and so beautiful! It's one of the sweetest bird songs ever. We were also serenaded by the unmistakable "Chip Burrrrr" of the scarlet tanager. Both birds are abundant in our woods.

Off to our side, we noticed a rustling in the leaves . On closer inspection, we found a toad. It was very docile and easy to catch, so of course I had to get a better look at him. What a beauty he was with his eyes of gold. He did not even pee on me, as toads are so prone to do when startled. Later on, I checked my field guide and found I had been cradling a Fowler's Toad in my hand Bufo woodhousei fowleri to be exact - a large toad, 2 1/2 - 5", with back blotched, chest unspotted. The guide book describes our toad's voice to be "like the bleat of a sheep with a cold." :) Good to know! We'll be sure now not to mistake the croak of our toad friend for a sick sheep in the forest! Fun stuff...

1 comment:

  1. Toad pee is an ancient and esteemed aphrodesiac and should not be feared! Pee away Bufo!

    ReplyDelete