Thursday, March 4, 2010

Amazing Amaryllis

First sprout appears


Initial growth



Moving up!



Leaves in the middle, flower buds on the sides




Buds are pronounced



Getting tall!




Tall stalks with red buds



In full bloom


For Christmas, my daughter treated me to a most wondrous gift. She took me to my favorite local greenhouse nursery and let me pick out whatever I wanted. She is a brave soul. To be in a garden nursery for me is like being a kid in a candy shop. So many choices, so many favorites, so hard to pick! This time, though, I knew exactly what I wanted to find...and it wasn't long before I had a Red Lion Amaryllis bulb in a terrific, heavy, ceramic pot. Amaryllis flower in a variety of colors from white and pink to red...but the bright, shiny red flowers have always been my favorite.

At first glance, the bare bulb half buried in the dirt doesn't look like much...but oh the wonders to soon behold! Starting with a tiny green shoot, followed by a rapid succession of growth, the amaryllis develops gradually until about two-three weeks pass, then the immense, showy blooms open, almost before your eyes. So beautiful! What a truly amazing plant!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment