Saturday, February 20, 2010

Home from Hopkins!!!

What an amazing hospital experience! The Johns Hopkins Transplant Team was simply awesome.

Desirae and I started our journey as pre-op buddies side by side, as members of the surgical and anaesthesiology teams prepared us for the upcoming surgery. I was so impressed by the manner of Desirae's medical team....how encouraging and caring they were. Each person who came to visit prior to surgery eased tensions and gave a thorough rundown of what was to be expected. Desirae was taken into surgery first, and then I was prepped. I received an equally supportive team who explained the process fully and made me feel that I was in the best of hands.

The surgery itself lasted around four hours. Directly afterwards, I was in the ICU, where I remained overnight in the skilled hands of the ICU nursing staff. In the morning, I was wheeled to the room that would be my home base for the next six days. Despite the scary nature of the situation, not once did I feel as if I was in any harm or danger. The nurses, the techs, nurse practitioners and doctors who worked with me daily were thorough - explaining every aspect of each and every step that I was going through. Johns Hopkins hires the best of the best. Both my daughter and I were well cared for every step of the way.

The end result - a successful surgery - a new kidney - the opportunity to keep living and experiencing this life I love. How miraculous is that!?!

Kevin stood by my side every second of the way. His steady, calm nature helped beyond what he will ever know. And, my beautiful daughter Desirae, what can I say? I owe you my life. Your generous gift will be appreciated for the rest of my days.

So, now we are home. Desirae and her boyfriend fly back to MA this afternoon to reenter their lives. Desirae looked simply radiant when she left the cabin this morning.

This whole experience has been so moving...nothing short of a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment