Tuesday, March 16, 2010

First Signs of Spring

Early Bloomers
Such a long, cold winter we had in the east, with blustery days and so much snowfall! We've all been longing for the warmer, sunnier days of springtime...and they are finally on their way.
Today, it was up in the fifties outdoors. I decided to do a little garden clean-up. When I went outside, I discovered two crocus flowers in full bloom. What a welcome sight! Most of our crocus bulbs had been consumed by chipmunks or squirrels last year, so I was especially happy to find two healthy plants heralding the coming of spring with their colorful flowers.
After clearing off layers of crusty brown leaves from the rock gardens, I further discovered that many of our perennials are starting to sprout. The daisies, cone flowers, and columbines made it through the winter to bloom again. I look forward to their continued progress. Kevin also found that the May Apples growing along our driveway are coming up. We saw a cotton tail rabbit scoot acroos the drive the other day, too! All good signs that spring has almost sprung!



On a recent visit, my sister brought me the lovely shamrock plant pictured above. I love it's emerald green clover leaves and delicate white flowers.

Spring officially arrives this weekend...and St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.
May the luck of the Irish be with you and HAPPY SPRING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment