Thursday, October 29, 2009

Plugging Along

Last week we received some great news. After her test results came in, it was determined that, so far, my daughter is a perfect match for me as a potential kidney donor. Her blood type and all 6 antigens are identical to mine. She still has some tests to get through to see if all is well for her to be able to donate her kidney...but the first major question was finally answered and the green light results gave us all a boost.

This week has been a practice of patience. Over and over, I've had to call and remind doctors offices to fax medical results to Johns Hopkins Hospital. I even had difficulty getting a necessary doctor's appointment scheduled with my internist, because, in the receptionist's words, "my case was getting too complicated." I finally called my physician's nurse directly, and she scheduled my appointment for today. My doctor, who I've known for years, and I shared a laugh over the fact that if his receptionist told all his patients that they couldn't make appointments with him because their medical issues were "getting too complicated," it kind of defeated his purpose in being there. I'm not so sure his approach with his receptionist, after speaking with me, will be as light hearted and fun.

While at the doctor's office, I got a pneumonia vaccination and was referred on to a cardiologist. I need a variety of cardiac tests to assure that my heart is strong enough to withstand surgery and the receipt of a new kidney. Also scheduled is a CT abdominal scan that will provide closer examination of the cysts on my kidneys to rule out the possibility of malignancies. The surgery can not go forward if the cysts are cancerous.

I have never enjoyed going to the doctor or getting medical tests, I don't know of too many people who do, but after all I've already been through in that regard this year alone, I'm getting used to it and used to waiting lengthy periods for simple tests. I'm finding that I'm taking things in stride better than I thought I would at the beginning of this process on the road to getting a new kidney. The road may be long, but I just keep plugging along. It's stop and go and sometimes bumpy, but encouraging news like we received from my daughter last week helps make the ride a lot easier. We hope the road ahead will offer up a lot more green lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment