Monday, January 10, 2011

Reflections on a Gift


This Christmas, my daughter Desirae gave me a beautiful river stone carved into the shape of a heart. The stone, smoothed to near perfection by the waters of the river from where it was gathered, was further transformed by the hands of a craftsman or woman into the heart I now hold in my hands.
This lovely heart stone carving was created by an artisan in Haiti...
Haiti so ravaged by earthquakes and hurricanes, with so many people left homeless and desperate simply to survive. After so much had been taken and so much misery endured, this token from Haiti, which traveled so far, stands as a tribute to the spirit of the Haitian people.
To face such trials and tribulations, to continue to reach out and believe in a better tomorrow, to create, send, and connect to the world with this universal symbol of love...I can only say more than touched my heart!
In this new year, may we all remember our interconnections with one another and may we all reach out in love...as did the Haitian artisan, who knew not where this heart river stone carving would ultimately end up, but most surely knew it would resonate with a profound message.
Thank you, my sweet Desirae, for such a special, meaningful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment