Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tulips in November


More accurately, this blog title should read, "Planting Tulips in November." I was thrilled that the weather has stayed warm enough that I could get outside today and plant the Darwin Hybrid tulip bulbs I purchased over two months ago.
Opportunities to plant my tulip garden had come and gone, and many days that would have been good for planting were not good for me. The immunosuppressants I need to take to keep my body from rejecting my new kidney also make me a target for the germs going around in this cold and flu season. I've already succumbed to three colds and had many a day when my body rebelled the idea of digging a garden.
Luckily, today was not such a day! The weather was in the low 60s and perfect for planting. With trowel in hand, I put about 30 tulip bulbs into the ground, watered them and covered them with nutrient rich organic soil, followed by a layer of leaves.
Come springtime, I hope strong and healthy tulip shoots will push their way up through the soil, grow tall and bloom in the vibrant mix of colors promised. They'll be a welcome sight, especially after the stark, gray days of wintertime...a lovely gift for this day spent planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment