Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Extreme Gratitude

It's almost the three month mark to the day I underwent surgery for the kidney transplant. I definitely feel stronger and I'm sleeping much better again. In the evenings after dinner, Kevin and I go for walks along the beautiful, scenic country roads of our neighborhood. It's amazing how much more one takes in and sees during a walk than when driving the same route!

Each time we go out for these strolls, we try to go a little further. The exercise does us both good, and, for me, it's a great feeling to know each time we go a longer distance, I have reached another mini-milestone. My goal is to keep walking more and more until I'm ready to go hiking, and, eventually, backpacking again. I can't wait to get out on the wilderness trails again and hike for as long and far as we want to go.

Last Thursday, I went for my third and final follow-up appointment with the staff at Johns Hopkins Hospital. It felt bittersweet to know that I probably will not again see the medical staff that helped me through to the point I am at today, but at the same time, it's fantastic to know I don't have to! I had a wonderful check-up, learning that, once again, my labs were all normal, my creatinine level perfect, and my doctor told me that I simply couldn't be doing any better than I am doing. To hear those very positive things made for a great way to wrap things up! My daughter's donated kidney is doing a stellar job for me, as it has from the beginning.

To think that it was a little less than three months ago that the surgery took place, to remember the scary nature of it all, and the grueling week stay in the hospital with IVs and heavy doses of anti-rejection medications...putting it all in perspective...I realize I've come a long way in a short amount of time. I feel extreme gratitude for so many reasons and for so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment