Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Seeing Red

Today's walk about outside our cabin led to some bright discoveries ~ literally bright!  First, I found that the nastursiums I planted earlier this spring had a first red flower, a real standout amongst its pale green and creamy white, orb shaped leaves.



Next, I couldn't help but see the reddish fluorescent orange snail egg clusters along the railroad tie retaining walls.  Globs of these brightly colored clusters dot the tops and sides of the dull colored walls.  Hundreds of tiny snails will soon emerge. Snails are a favorite food of chipmunks who dine on the adults regularly and leave their broken shells behind.


As I rounded the corner of the cabin, another bright object caught my eye.  It turned out to be a pair of wild strawberries, still fully intact and untouched.  Apparently, the birds and chipmunks, who love to eat this bright red fruit, had not yet discovered what I just had!
 


The last photograph I'll leave you with is one that you may wonder why I included, since it doesn't show any red ... not yet that is :)  These pretty yellow tomato flowers herald the coming of bright red, juicy tomatoes that will hopefully follow soon! 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment