Friday, May 11, 2012

Memorable Moment




In 2003, I worked as a naturalist at Meadowside Nature Center.  In many ways, it was a dream job for me.  I had full reign to create and deliver nature themed programs for all ages,  I cared for the center's extensive collection of raptors, including a bald eagle named "Orion," and spent a good portion of my workdays outdoors on the extensive grounds.  Meadowside was located within a large regional park that included woods, a sizable pond, and, true to its name, meadows teaming with wildflowers.

One of the family programs I conducted concerned the life cycle of butterflies.  The program started indoors with a video of the life cycle of the Monarch Butterfly with fascinating footage of the Monarch from egg to full-grown butterfly.  After the video and a brief discussion, I led the group outdoors to introduce the participants to milkweed, the Monarch's host plant.  I broke a bit of the plant off so everyone could view the oozy, milky white substance inside which, when consumed by the caterpillars, makes them distasteful and toxic to birds, who, over time, have learned to avoid eating the larva or predate the full grown butterfly.

Next, it was down to the pond to see if we might spy any of the bright orange and black beauties in flight that were more often seen over the meadowed hillside leading to the water's edge.  Milkweed plants were prevalent in this area, especially as we neared the water.  I stopped to point out the plants again, and right on the leaf I pointed to was a plump, striped Monarch caterpillar munching away on it's favorite meal of milkweed.  Even though I'd taught this program repetitively and had long been aware of Monarch life cycle, it was actually the first time I had seen a live Monarch caterpillar.  I was so excited at the find and that excitement was contagious.  Everyone, young and old alike, was ecstatic to view what they'd just learned about.  The moment was simply magical...you couldn't have asked for a better "teaching" experience ... hands-on-learning at its best.

The Monarch butterfly has long been a favorite of mine.  I love seeing their graceful, winged forms as they migrate through our area in early fall on their way to a warmer place down south to spend the wintertime.  In the miniature paintings I create and sell on eBay, one of my latest is the painting featured above, a Monarch butterfly alighting on its host, a milkweed plant.  Below, is a miniature I sold last year of the plump, milkweed munching caterpillar :)

    


No comments:

Post a Comment