Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Painting...Painting...and More Painting!!!



I've become entirely infatuated with creating miniature paintings. It seems I can't go a day without sitting down at my table easel, sketching a design or two on tiny 2.5" by 3.5" cards, and brushing in the color with my watercolors. It's a fun challenge to come up with new ideas for my paintings, but most of my inspiration comes from the natural beauty surrounding us here in our mountain cabin in the woods. Over the weekend, Kevin found a gorgeous cecropia moth that had met it's match in the early morn with some sort of predator - most likely a bird that just couldn't quite keep a hold of it. The poor thing's wings were badly tattered and it was definitely on its last legs. Such a beautiful creature and how sad it met its demise, but it inspired me to paint it in all its glory of better days. Cecropia moths are the largest moths in North America with a wingspan that can reach up to almost 6 inches across.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful picture. However, how are we ever going to get Steve back for a visit, with you guys boasting the largest month on the continent?

    ReplyDelete