Friday, March 25, 2011

Artist at Work

Work in Progress
photo taken by Kevin
I love my art teacher. Today, when I presented my latest effort to her, she took one look at it and said the background looked like mud. Actually, it was my thought exactly! I so appreciate having an instructor who isn't afraid to say exactly what she thinks and steer me in a better direction. Previously, I took a couple of art classes and the instructors gave me nothing but praise for what were often lack luster paintings, and, even though they were very sweet encouraging ladies, there was no way to learn or improve without receiving the much needed constructive criticism.
I've always worked well under the direction of a critical eye, a mentor who wants me to produce the best finished product I can. Some years back, when I illustrated a series of rare plants for the Natural Heritage Society, I worked under the direction of the chapter's botanist, a brilliant woman whose scope of knowledge about native plants was phenomenal. She couldn't draw, but she could clearly tell me how to improve my drawings from an expert's point of view. I loved working with her and even though she sent me back to the drawing board many a time, when she finally said, "You got it , looks great!," I felt such a sense of accomplishment.
Once again, I'm very fortunate to have a brilliant mentor...this time an accomplished professional artist and dear friend who truly enjoys sharing her talents and encouraging her students to develop their own style and strive to create their best work. It's such a pleasure to paint. The "work" feels more like play.

No comments:

Post a Comment