Friday, July 9, 2010

Beautiful Butterfly


The coneflowers continue to attract new butterflies everyday. Today, this very regal swallowtail came to sip the sweet nectar. He wasn't shy, but did play hard to get with me for quite a while. As I would come close with my camera, he would vere away then fly upwards and next fly around the cabin hoping I would be gone by the time he returned to the flower bed. Finding me still there, but with the draw of the coneflower ever strong, he'd come in for another landing and flit from flower head to flowerhead and then repeat the whole cycle again.


After performing this routine several times, he must have come to the conclusion that I just wasn't going to leave and conceded with an "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" attitude, letting me get close enough for shot after shot. At one point he was so close to my camera that he bumped into it, but that still didn't deter him from going about his own business.
I love the striking pattern and vibrant colors of the swallowtail. In the second photograph, you can get a glimpse of the probocis (especially if you left click on the image to enlarge it for greater detail).

No comments:

Post a Comment