Monday, May 17, 2010

Rainy Day


We're in for a three day stretch of rain. Before the showers started, I took the photograph above of our pond iris, now in full bloom. The big, showy, yet delicately etched blooms are ideal subjects for watercolors. Last year, at around this time, I tried my hand at "capturing" the essence of this lovely flower with my translucent paints. Though I was pleased with the turnout, my painting could not compare with the natural beauty of the flower itself.
This morning, I visited my favorite nursery - always a good pick-me-up whenever the weather outside is gloomy. Leisurely, I made my way through the greenhouse aisles fully stocked with an abundance of flowering plants. I was looking for a collection of annuals for my flower boxes. The many colors and varieties made it difficult to choose. Finally, I came across a gorgeous leafy plant called "Joseph's Coat." It is a plant of many colors! The leaves are mottled in various shades of bright pink and green - so lovely. This brightly colored plant made the rest of my decision making easier. I simply needed to find coordinating flowering plants in various shades of pink. I settled for some very healthy looking pale pink vincas and some frilly flowered plants with bright magenta blossoms. Tomorrow, under cover of the porch eaves, I'll put together the combination in my flower boxes - another good pick-me-up :)
"Happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur everyday, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom." ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment