Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Passages and Pizza

Desirae & A Very Proud Mom on Graduation Day from Johns Hopkins University

Like every first time expectant mother, I was fraught with anticipation for my baby's arrival. The almost nine months I had been waiting seemed like the longest time span of my life. I was more than ready to experience this life form that had been growing within me, so eager to begin the forever relationship of mother and child ... to see, hold, and nurture my baby.

I was told by well-intentioned relations if I wanted to hurry the process along, I should eat pizza. Yes, the zestier the better...but any nice, gooey, cheesy slice of pizza pie was the supposed key to moving things along! So, at nearly nine months to the very day, a pizza party was indeed my course of action...and, wouldn't you know, I went into labor that evening!

My beautiful daughter arrived in the world the next night...all 7 pounds 8 ounces of perfection - our bundle of joy. Seeing her for the very first time is the most precious miracle I have ever experienced...ever.

That day was the beginning of what I can best describe as a love affair - a love so deep and so enriching, a love ever-lasting. Being a mother is one of the biggest joys of my life - not the easiest portion of it, not by a long shot, but endlessly rewarding. I've watched my daughter grow from a helpless, vulnerable, totally dependent baby, to a little girl filled with curiosity and joy for life, only to evolve into an intense, driven, and, at times, cantankerous, moody teen, and then flower into a gorgeous, independent, extremely competent, loving young woman with a generous spirit and strong heart. I've beamed with pride, laughed 'til my sides ached, shuddered with anger, and, through it all, shared her journey every step of the way in awe of the life she was creating one step at a time.

This weekend, my daughter is headed for Massachusetts to start a new job. She goes well prepared with a Bachelors and Masters Degree in her chosen field of study and a wealth of life experience already under her belt. She goes with my blessing and with the confidence that a mother who truly believes in her child has rightfully earned. Last night, she came over for a final visit before starting off on this life venture. Our final meal together? Pizza :)



1 comment:

  1. I love you, Mom!

    Hope you are safe from a wonderful time, and I will talk with you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete